Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Just sitting back

I had such an incredible day with K yesterday. We didn't go anywhere, barely got out of our jammies but we had a blast!! I truly enjoyed every minute of it. I realized the hardest thing for me right now as a parent is sitting back and letting him just be. I try not to be a hovering parent but it is hard after 1 1/2 years of being his arms and legs. I'm just not having an easy time accepting this new role as guide and observer. I was struck by this thought as I sat at the computer. It was completely quiet (a little too quiet!) I turned around and K was happily sitting by his bookshelf surrounded by books and "reading" them. This is what I had been picturing in my mind for so many years. C and I adore reading and are trying out hardest to pass that love onto our children. But, as I see the love of reading taking hold, I realize that this is a moment where I am not needed - UGH!!! Yes, he will bring us books and ask us to read them but at this moment, he was just taking it all in by himself. I had to stop myself from getting up and going over to read them to him. I had to make myself turn back around and let him have some K time. I am a firm believer that everyone needs time to themselves. I guess it is time that I get it through my mommy brain that K deserves some of his own time!!

1 comment:

Palmer said...

This is just the beginning baby!