Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Is it Christmas yet?

While we lived in Houston, Christmas was a tough time. We had to have what we called "Chris and Sarah Christmas" before Christmas since we spent Christmas in Dallas. We weren't very good about waiting until the date we had specified for S&CC. We tended to go home and wrap the presents for each other and then exchange gifts. Made it a good joke for Mark but it got really hard once we moved up here to wait until Christmas but we've done a great job so far! Now we have to have lots of patience because we can't wait for Keegan to get to play with his cool toys!
We are glad, now we live up here, that we don't have to haul Christmas 200 miles. It was risky and we had to re-wrap presents on multiple occasions. At least living up here saves us that! So many people complain about having to drive around on Christmas Day. For us, we had no choice. We HAD to drive a while to be with family for Christmas. For me, driving around is not a big deal. This year, with our little Sweet Pea, we did have to sit down and have a discussion. We realized that we could not have Keegan in and out of the car all day. Luckily, our families understand and have made family plans spread out.
I love what the Dees are doing. With a newborn and a 2 year old, they are inviting their families to come over for a visit during certain times. That is a great way to be able to actually enjoy the day and not be stressed about getting places on time.
All of this holiday shuffling made me realize how much of a traditionalist I am. I was raised with Christmas Eve with my Mom's family and going to church. Christmas Day, we had breakfast casserole and monkey bread. We'd open presents and relax and enjoy everything. Then, we would pack and leave to go to my Dad's parents' house at Lake Kiowa. We would arrive in the late afternoon. We'd have Christmas dinner and open presents. We would then get ready and go over to the Westfall's house for their annual Christmas party. That was always fun. I really enjoyed going somewhere for Christmas. Some people may not like being away during Christmas but I enjoyed it. As an adult, I miss those set plans. Now, we do something different every year. No set plans. I am hoping for the day when we can have set plans and know weeks in advance what will be going on. That would make things so much less stressful. But that's just me and my inability to plan things at the last minute. Wonder if it is too late to ask Santa for some free-spiritedness.

2 comments:

Shannan Teubner said...

I am all for set plans!! One day....

R said...

Oh Sarah, you spoke my heart on this exactly! That's totally what I YEARN for...traditions that don't change during the holidays. I need that stability. :0) One of the reasons I really miss my childhood...we had set plans each year, too.

As the kids get older we'll get into a routine, I'm sure, only to have it upset again when they all marry and have families of their own and we have to readjust again! One thing I've decided this year, though--when my children are grown and have their own families, we will be the go-with-the-flow parents. We will NOT EVER be the ones to lay guilt on our kids or pressure them to do anything. We'll take what we get and be happy, not difficult. :0) (But I pray that our kids will WANT to come to our house! I can do that, right?!)

We'll see how this year goes...The Dees house will be open to family visits from about 10 till 5 or something! :0) (We haven't decided how to work around naps yet.)