Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Now It's Dad's Turn to Give This a Go


Yesterday, K wasn't feeling great after his shots, so I got to go pick him up from Becky's. He's getting to where he recognizes us now, so I gave him a big smile, and he gave me an even bigger one back ... lovin' that ...


Anyway, I got him loaded up into the truck, and we went to Target. He slept most of the time I was getting the food stuff, but then we got to the freezer section, and that woke him ... and then the whole store found out he was awake ... and cold. We quickly got out of there and went to the better half of the store. We were going through the electronics section ... we both picked out flat-screen TVs, and bought neither. Then we were off to the toys ... and, of course, I bought this kid (that we're not going to spoil) 2 toys. Figures. Funny thing, this time last year, I would have been buying stuff for me ... it's more fun to get it for him.


Next, we were off to the baby section (we were pretty much low on all of his supplies). This is where he reminded me that even the smallest things can bring the biggest joy. he was playing around with toys I hadn't yet bought for him, when I picked up a box of rice cereal. He looked at it. Looked at me. Looked at box. Looked at me. Box. Me. Box. Me. Box. Me. Finally, it dawned on me that he wanted the box (I'm a little slow sometimes ... no comments from the peanut gallery). He spent the next 30 minutes we were at Target beating on the box and having the time of his life. Forget the $20 worth of toys I picked for him ... he wanted that $1.99 box of rice cereal. Funny thing ... if only we could all get so much joy out of something so simple.


This kid continues to amaze me every day. He wakes up with a smile every morning. Quickly gets to the point when he needs or wants something. Makes everyone he sees smile. Goes to bed as happy as can be. If only life could stay that simple.

4 comments:

Sugarmomma said...

That really must have been a sight to see with the cereal box. He will probably be one of those kids who enjoys the boxes the toys come in more than the toys.

Shannan Teubner said...

It's so funny how they love the littlest things! It doesn't change either. Last Christmas the boys favorite presents were the $1 bags of Army men. Sheesh.
Boy I do not miss grocery shopping with a baby. I do not love grocery shopping with my boys either...lol

R said...

Oh, the joys of bolting out of stores and restaurants when it's your kid who's wailing at the top of his lungs...

Side note--we just looked at your photo site, at the Uptown photos. M pointed gleefully to y'all's pictures and said "Sawah! Kwees! And Bee-bee Kee-gee!" I can't believe her people recall!

Unknown said...

What complete joy Keegan brings to us! There is not other feeling better than holding a grandchild in your arms and watching him smile at you! Or hearing a belly laugh! God has blessed our famiy so greatly and we give him the praise. Being a grandmother is the best club I've ever been a member of! Thank you for our precious one.

Love, Momma