Thursday, March 10, 2011

What we are giving up for Lent

I truly love the Lenten season. I think it is my favorite holy season. This year, we are doing something a bit different. Instead of our usual "giving up" for Lent, we are adding things into our lives. We want to bring our family closer together and closer to God. Each week, we will add in something new to our lives. This week, Chris and I are starting to pray as a couple. We did this a few times during our study of In Love and War by John and Stasi Eldridge. (Excellent book for couples!!) We really could tell a different in our days and nights whenever we did this. We got out of the habit and have both missed it.
Next week, we will add in the habit of simplifying our stuff. This is an effort to make our lives easier and free up more time by getting rid of stuff. Then, we will add in a family walk every night. We also want to give more. Not of money but of ourselves to people who need help. I feel like we give a lot of ourselves at church through the things we help with but I just don't see how we are giving of ourselves to our neighbors who may need some help.
So, what are you doing for the Lenten season?

No comments: