Monday, April 27, 2009

Kickin' it After Skool

So, due to the rain, power had been off in our neighborhood since noon. I came home and picked up K and had a sudden realization. Our power was out so no Arthur or Wordgirl. it had been raining all day so no playing outside. What in the world was I going to do in a semi-dark house with an almost 2 year old?? C was not going to get home and take us out to eat (hey, side benefit of no power!!) until 5:30 or so. How would I keep my sanity and K occupied?? Then my creative side shouted at me, "I have an idea!!" A month or so ago, I subscribed to a fantastic magazine. There really isn't a magazine that I can pick up and see cool fun things to me and my family to do within the first 5 pages!!! My latest issue came on Friday. While we were out on Saturday, I bought the two things I needed to do this cool project. What cool project? I think of it as the uber-cool project. This project starts a few months ago. For Christmas, C's brother's family got K a pair of Chuck Taylors that were funky and perfect for K. He wore them a couple of times and then the zipper on the side broke. We were upset about it because they had really put in a lot of thought into this particular pair of Chucks. So, I hung on to them hoping that one day we could get them fixed before K outgrew them. Then, enter fabulous issue of fav magazine. In a special section on how to get kids active, they had this craft using old shoes. You take a dowel rod and put it into the shoe like it it a leg. You then screw the rod to the shoe from the bottom. Cost? $3 for one rod. I cut the 4 ft rod into two 2 ft sections. Took me about 10 minutes. End result? K and I spent the rest of the time playing "kick ball" in the living room. Luckily, the lights came on around 4:30. I was able to get dinner done and K had a great time!!

No comments: